our musings
Are Your Employees Engaged With Your Company Values?

Are Your Employees Engaged With Your Company Values?


A CEO was asked how many people work in his company: ‘About half of them,’ he responded.

Ivey Business Journal

This is a joke, of course, but it has an important undertone. Many business leaders struggle with creating an engaging work environment and motivating employees.

How many of your employees ‘work’ in your organization?

The most recent Gallup survey results indicate that 30 million people in the US – approximately 30% of the American workforce – reported being engaged or inspired at work. Of the remaining 70%, 20 million employees were actively disengaged – that is, they hate their bosses, are miserable, and (to quote the survey) “roam the halls spreading discontent.”

To put it bluntly, you cannot afford for your employees to not be profoundly connected with your company. Employee engagement has huge implications for productivity, quality, customer service, and overall profitability. Not to mention, Gallup indicates that more engaged employees have 50% fewer accidents and incur far less in healthcare costs.

It’s no secret that engaging your team is crucial to your company’s business performance. But how do you go about inspiring and motivating your employees?


When it comes to engaging your team, your core values are the first place you should start. As Roy Disney once said, “It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” Your company values are more than just faded writing on the wall or tucked into a binder somewhere – they are the pillars of your company, and the foundation upon which strategy, goals and direction rest. These founding principles are the driving force behind everything that you do as an employee and organization. Writing powerful values is essential to creating employee engagement.

Are your employees engaged with your company values?

If an employee is engaged with your company values, he/she will clearly understand what’s important and have confidence in their ability to make decisions on a daily basis. An engaged employee offers discretionary effort freely and works daily for the good of the company, in clear line with its values. They are dedicated not only to their own success within a role, but to the success of the company. They care about the future of the company and are emotionally connected to achieving its goals.

Engaged organizations have strong and authentic values, with clear evidence of trust and fairness based on mutual respect, where two way promises and commitments – between employers and staff – are understood, and are fulfilled.



Having strong company values is only half the battle. According to the Human Capital League, only 42% of employees know their organization’s vision, mission and values. How can you expect your employees to engage with your values, if they don’t know what those values are?

Take any steps necessary to communicate and demonstrate the core values of your company. Continuously reinforce the guiding mission to keep your employees on track.

Not only is employee engagement crucial for staff retention, productivity and individual performance, but it has a real impact on your bottom line. It is worth the time and effort to bring the goals and values of your employees in line with those of the company.


About the author:

Ashley Freeman is Head of Sales and Marketing at employee engagement company INVOLVE. He spearheads employee engagement campaigns for some of the world’s leading businesses.

We wrote the book on marketing!

By Shawn Busse & Wendy Maynard

More of our musings

Introducing ‘The Spark’

‘The Spark’ is when business leaders stand right on the cusp of opportunity, but need a little extra oomph to move from inspiration to transformation. Keep an eye on the Kinesis blog for this new series.

Learn with us.

Get insights like this straight to your inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.